This-Old-Jeep.com's Zazzle Marketplace


See more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Separating the D18 from the T90 roadblock

I'm about one step from removing the transfer case, but there's something holding me back and I can't figure out what it is. I have a total of eight bolts removed from the bodies of the transfer and transmission and the bolt going through the crossmember. I have the clamp holding down the emergency brake cable onto the crossmember removed. (I can't get the cable removed from the arm as I just don't have enough room to get in there and everything is rusted together...) I have the cover on the back of the transfer removed and the bolt and washer and one total gear that consists of a large and a small gear in one unit removed. I tried taking the T90 shifter top case off just in case that had something to do with it. I've tried shifting the transfer levers into different positions (should it be out or in and in neutral, I'd guess?). Does it matter? Its a Dana 18 twin stick and something is up with it as I have only two positions on the low and high stick, but like I said, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not?
I've tried gently prying apart the case halves with a thin bladed screwdriver and have got it maybe 1/16" separated, but after that it feels almost like there is another bolt somewhere that I'm missing. I know that there is one bolt (that IS removed) in between the transfer shifter hump and the tranny shifter hump, bit is there another bolt hiding under all the dirt and grease that has built up there? I had to literally chisel through it to get to the one bolt.
About the only thing that I haven't tried is to hoist it up with the comelong and then try to pry the case halves apart. ANY advice would be appreciated. :D My goal is to have the running gear out of the frame by Thanksgiving.

No comments: