This-Old-Jeep.com's Zazzle Marketplace


See more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Wrestling With A Flywheel


Another scorcher today that really sapped my drive. Got a bit done though... Cleaned up the flywheel to look nice and purty with a bit more degreaser and then tried the unconventional 150 grit sandpaper and random orbital sander on it. Didn't go crazy with it, just got her nicely buffed and shiny. Took off the stubborn bits of grease.
Popped out the pilot bushing easily enough using the grease and input shaft trick...
I wasn't convinced that it was going to work, but wow, was I surprised! I'm freezing the new one and then I'll try tapping it in with the end of the input shaft again unless anyone has a better idea?

DSC_4303
The aforementioned 'SP' initials on the front oil pan facing side of the bellhousing shield.


DSC_4304

Pretty sure that it isn't a random set of scratches... who knows who 'SP' was!

DSC_4305

DSC_4306
Anyone know what this could have been or where it came from? It looks like a rounded lock washer with pointed ends... I found it somewhere near the rear of the engine after removing the clutch.

DSC_4307
Closer view...

DSC_4316
Lastly... I went to set the transfer case mount in today as well and discovered that it didn't fit. Looks like when I was cleaning up the old deteriorated one I left the old bottom metal seat of the old one in its cup in the crossmember. I remember scraping out the rubber from this cup when I was first cleaning up the frame, but that was all that came out. Just wanted to make sure before I start to chisel this piece out.

No comments: