This-Old-Jeep.com's Zazzle Marketplace


See more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My 1953 jeep cj-3b project, the Mistress



Being a jeep lover, fan, fanatic, driver, repairer, painter, collector, and dreamer for the last 15 or so years, I have always wanted to experience one of every single model. One model that I had rarely seen, but always had a fascination for was the CJ-3B. Its the unique high hood design that supplanted the relatively short lived CJ-3A. Its higher hood design came along as a necessity for placing the new overhead valve f-head design of the 134 cu. in. four in between the fenders. It gave the jeep a sort of surprised expression to the front clip. Some people think they're ugly and some know that they're of a sort of looks that are so unusual that they are beautiful.
My time came this past March when I found one online for sale from an ended ebay auction down in New Jersey. I spoke with the guy who had her for sale and he still wanted to sell her for 700 bucks. What I got was a complete non-running 3B with ID plate #453-GB2 31318. I got her shipped up here with snow still on the ground in the month of March and a spot cleared in the barn.
She came complete with a frozen, abused engine that had had the valve cover and head removed and lovingly junked in the drivers side floor board. The 1st and 4th cylinders were coated with rust and the remains of old mouse nests and acorn shells. Luckily, the seller threw in a "running the last he knew..." replacement f-head that will still get an overhaul. The body was in good shape, but attention needs to be paid to the floorboards (of course...) and the interior of the tool box, the passenger's side rear quarter panel and along the driver's side running board. Amongst other things... But, the frame is in good shape, but both bumpers show evidence of collisions that need to be banged out. Two good seat frames, a Harrison heater and two boxes of miscellaneous parts rounded her out.
My wife jokingly decided that if I were to have an affair, it may as well be with the jeep, so hence, the 3B became "the Mistress." As soon as I get her on the road, the vanity plate will be MSTRESS. This is going to become my ongoing blog of the slow process of restoring the Mistress to a roughly stock condition. I plan on keeping her mainly stock, but going with a few upgrades and hopefully a Warn overdrive too. Ok, here we go.

No comments: